Crushing pills and opening capsules are usually done to help patients take their medication easily. This has become a common practice with stroke patients, children, especially by people suffering from dysphagia (a disease which causes patience to experience discomfort in swallowing). While this practice seems very common, healthcare experts warned patients to be careful in crushing pills.
Not all pills should be crushed
In an article posted in the Daily Mail last March 11, 2014, it reported how crushing pills and opening capsules can cause drug overdose even if taken according to the medication’s recommended daily intake. It was also reported how 10 percent of hospital admissions are due to improper intake of medicine. What seems to cause this problem?
Not all medication should be crushed as some are designed to gradually take effect in the body after intake. These medications are coated to slowly dissolve. If the coating is crushed, the medicine is quickly absorbed by the body upon intake leading to the patient’s initial medicinal overdose. The patient will also experience side effects which may even result to his or her hospitalization.
Proper intake of crushed medication
While there are medicines which should not be crushed, some can be. These pills are designed to take effect 5 to 10 minutes after intake. If the only alternative is to crush it, healthcare experts will tell you how best to prepare it, for example mixing with food and dissolving it in water.
Consult your doctor if you’re having difficulty in swallowing medicine. They may give you an alternative that can help you in your medicinal intake. myLiqitab is a great solution for such problems. The devise is designed to dissolve pills without the tedious task of crushing. Flavours can also be chosen for a more pleasant experience. It also includes flavors which can be mixed with the liquefied solution.